Följande text är en av mina mer skissartade och den kommer att skrivas på svenska också. Following text is very sketchy and will be worked out better.
Now, I might ”know” why my ”?” button has been triggered as soon as the question about to organize us in an association have come up. Us, is the sketchers who attend the sessions in figure drawing at Dalarnas museum in Falun, Sweden. I am one of the contacts to the museums curator.
If we were a cultural association we could seek, even have the right to some financial support. I have been hesitating. Now I know why I hesitate, and why it is important not to rush and organize ”us” in a well known form. I got a sudden hunch or insight while working with the text ”Is it possible to unite science with religion?”. (The text is still not finished.) I realized that what makes it important not to organize us, is not about beeing unorganized but ”how” to distribute mandate to influence and make decisions in the organization, in order to encourage creativity and development.
Why we in Sweden do not have a form of association that fits or support that, is probably due to habits of thoughts our scientists (including our christian” theologers”) has been working on for nearly two thousand years; (to view it from yet another angel I will write a post on ”butlers, lady´s companion and the kings court” – later.)
That may sound farfetched for someone unacquainted to my other thougts.
Anyway, in distributing or spread/allocate power and influence among the sketchers in order to encourage creativity and development, it is about not loosing track on what or why ”we” consider ”us” as a ”we”, and ”why” we meet, why we want to associate.
Here are some main points:
- Our sessions in figure drawing is about doing (practicing, in this case ”sketching”) and not the results of what we do (the sketches in themselves). The results is up to each one of us to deliver or not -as one pleases.
- It is about meeting and exchanging views. Not to tell anyone else what to think or say – there is no political policy.
- it is about gathering as many as possible and make everybody feel welcome. It is not about distinguish or ”sort people or ideas out” by cultivating certain ideas or attitudes. Even if that is what happens – still the aim with the gathering is not about ”finding” the one truth and the answers. Even if we all might feel a bit wiser, inspired or have opened a new field to explore after a meeting.
- The gathering is about the gathering, the practice and the opportunity to meet and talk to others.
These ”goals” does not fit in with the rules and regulations that are applied to the form of associations available in Sweden.
If we were to start an association, even if it is volunteer, nonprofitable and open for everyone. We would have to spend time on:
- finding a board, every year
- write a program and a policy
- gather sketchers to approve to the program and the policy
- document, put down in words what is said, and archive it
All very time consuming activities that really has nothing to do with gathering as many sketchers as possible to every session, finding a model and sketch. Now we can all use our time to do what is necessary to meet, find a model, inform and sketch. One sketcher has set up a website another is keeping it running. I and another one is censors (we do not want spam). We have tried to set the access to the web in a way so it is easy for anyone who come and sketch (we meet in person) to share information and sketches.I have a list with addresses to inform about sessions in figure drawing.
We are not unorganized – but we have not a formed a formal association.
Here are some other bits and and pieces about organization that triggers my !? buttons.
- 1.The first piece: For a swedish employee there are an unwritten and a written contract of loyalty to the company you are working for. (Arbetgivare och arbetstagares lojalitet /Employers and employes loyalty- Sveriges HR förening/ Swedish association for human resources)
Maybe there is a symmetric loyalty from the employer to the employee. (I might make a resume of the links contents in english later.)
- Cut from website ”DokuMera” – employees and social media >>swedish link Klipp från DokuMera – Anställda och sociala medier 29 maj 2012/
- Yttrandefriheten_- freedom of speech from Ström, E. (2002),
http://arbetsplatskonflikt.av.gu.se, Institutionen för arbetsvetenskap,
- To be conisdered, when hiring and firing, is weather you like and support your ”boss” on a professional basis and – I am a bit unsure if it also is supposed to be – on a personal basis. The question is parallell to a growing understanding of the difficulty to keep your personal moral apart from your professional moral. When it comes to business I guess it will lead to many personal conflicts concerning the overall current moral of profit. How to be ”free” to have other goals, an other moral, for instance: sustainable ideas about transportation and resources.
- Well described by Barry Schwarts TEDtalk
- Lex Maria A swedish law protecting employees in public institutions who tell on their employer for misconduct. The law was admissed after a case brought up in court. The law is named after the employee.
- If you as employee tells about misconducts in the organization you can be fired for being disloyal. Being fired means that you lose your income. It is an immediate economic penalty (punishment). Added to that it can be hard to find a new job because you have showed disloyalty. Nowadays we have lex Maria, but if it is applicable in the private sector as well, I do not know.
(examples to check: the person who told on Bofors, the person warning the USA govern or parl. about the coming economic crisis, also a french and a norwegian woman that leaked sensitiv information flared and was then quickly silented.)
- The captains for the pirates in the Caribean are interesting examples of leadership and how to organize/associate. They were elected by the crew and each member of the crew swore the captain fidelity.
- ”I´ll do anything he is asking for. I´ll die in his name. I´ll die with honor.” This was a statement of loyalty shouted out (with acclamation) in the news, by a follower to the leader of the Hizbollah.
- Not so hard to find – but I´ll look up the date and who broadcasted it. It was during 2013.
6. ” …In what is written soforth, I have told you much and at the same time I have not told you anything that could lead you to blind obeyance or foolish worship, which the emotional trainee shows the Guru or Master he still is unable to reach/connect to. Nor will he reach the wished contact/connection until he has transcended his emotional worship to an unselfish serving of the humanity and not of his Master.”
The Tibetan through Alice A. Bailey August 1934
- Esoteric Healing 1953, Lucis Trust, New York
7. —” What I mean is, that even if grafitti starts as a revolt against rules and regulation it now has its own rules. Some of the artists are like Gurus and if you don´t follow the rules you´re out or not counted for. There is a hierarchi among the artists. It´s like it doesn´t need to be more than two or three people and they start to organize themselves and what they are doing.”
Pär said conclusevly after we had discussed the issues around making an association of us who do gesture drawing in Dalarnas museum (Falun, Sweden).
The point in staying unorganized, is to keep the gatherings ”free” and open for everyone. you don not need to have any certain level of ability or need to join in some ”consensus” about nor the sketching or the results, the sketches expressions. ”It” is a gathering where sketchers meet – if you want to you can ventilate your thoughts with other sketchers. And it is a constant work to keep it ”unorganized” and consider the hindrance and temptaions around turning ”us” into an association or not. The sketching is an arena where we can meet, discuss and have different opinions, meanings and approaches.
Still, we do need persons adresses so we can adress all interested with information, and show countable figures of interest in order to have a space, a place to be. The webiste is a great tool as a cyberarena, but it comes second after the ”real” meetings and doings, the sketching. And we do need money to keep a place on the internet, not so much, but still – some.
- How to organize workinglife I believe is going to be this centurys big issue, connecting strongly to democratic issues.
- Cut from the news ”Dagens Nyheter (DN)” The title of the article ”Dictatoric bosses behind bullying on the workplace”, >> link to article Diktatoriska chefer bakom mobbing på arbetsplatser